Make Something Monday is Back! Well, I know I said that i would be back in a few days, but didn't quite make it. I hope you will forgive me. For this post I decided to go back to something I did a few times before, but would like to start again. Many people now do a daily render to hone their skills and inspire themselves. Unfortunately, I do not currently have the time to do a daily render, so I came up with Make Something Monday a few years ago that I will try to stay consistent with. Now that is not to say that everything I post will be made in one day or necessarily on a Monday, but I will try to post something on Monday to show what I have been working on or am currently working on now.
For this first revisited post I am going to showcase I product shot I completed not too long ago for my graphic design firm, Linear Liquid.
This image was modeled in Cinema 4D and rendered using Octane Render. It's a relatively simple model that was created using splines and a Lathe Object. I then textured the label in Photoshop. The lighting was created using Greyscale Gorilla's HDRI Studio pack. I believe I took the rendered image into After Effects for some final adjustment.
What was tricky for me here was getting the liquid and plastic materials looking like they should. This was only my second project to use Octane Render, so I still wasn't extremely familiar with the different material and render settings. For the liquid I used an Octane specular material with an index of 1.33, white reflection, and a colored transmission. The plastic was a specular texture as well with a black reflection and index of 1.575. These two textures gave me the result I was looking for with a nice "sports drink" feel to the liquid.
I'm not sure what the render time of this shot was. I rendered it out at 4K to use as a background image on my computer. I might do another render so I can post the time. When I originally started this project I had a GeForce GTX 760 card, but now I have a GTX 980 TI and a GeForce 1070 so my renders are quite a bit faster now. I also plan on doing a render video in Lightwave comparing it's native renderer with Octane soon, so keep an eye out for that.
This was a pretty short post, but I am planning on coming back full force in the next days and weeks.
For this edition of Make Something Monday, I actually created an object that I will be turning into a little website for a class I am taking. The assignment is to collect recipes from my classmates and then turn them into a working website. Many of my classmates are doing a cook book motif, but I wanted to go with something a little different. In researching ideas, I came up with the idea of using a Rolodex type device to manage the recipes. Since my drawing skills aren’t the greatest, I decided to use modo and Cinema 4D to design, texture, and render the object for use on the web.
I created the entire model in modo 501. It really didn’t take too long to get things like I wanted them. In all I would say it took me about an hour or so to create the model. I then took it into Cinema 4D for the lighting, texturing and rendering since I am still not as familiar with modo’s texturing tools.
Over the next few weeks I will be turning this into a fully working site, and I will be sure to post that link when it is finished.
For this installment of Make Something Monday I have decided to show you something that I have been teaching my video production students. We purchased a lab license of modo a few weeks back, and I have been teaching them the fundamentals of box modeling. To accomplish this, we have been working on making a truck out of a box.
Now I know that I am supposed to make something new every Monday, and for the most part I do. I usually spend Monday afternoons working on my lesson plans for the week, so I model the truck on Mondays so I can lead my students through the process the rest of the week. I was inspired to do this truck by a 3D Studio Max tutorial I saw on the web, but since I don't have 3DS Max I decided to adapt it to modo. So far I am really happy with how this is turning out. Of course, it is not a photoreal truck, but it gives the students a good modeling foundation and practice with many different tools.
We have pretty much modeled the main body of the truck. The next parts we will focus on will be the wheels. Once we have finished the wheels, we will start adding details such as the body panels, door handles, lights, and a roll bar. Hopefully we will complete this soon so we can move on to something else.
Well, last week I modeled the USB cable so today I thought I would texture and render the model. Unfortunately, I didn't save the render and had to re-render on Tuesday. I think that texturing and lighting my models are two skills I really need to work on. The render I finally ended up with is okay, but it is not as good as I would have preferred. I textured and rendered the USB cable in Cinema 4D 12 because I have not really used modo's texturing and rendering features. I hope to study modo's features because it would be nice to stay in one program for simple scenes like this. I must admit that I am reasonably pleased with how this turned out after only 2 hours of work. No, it is not the best, but I am not a full time 3D artist. I am hoping to devote a lot of time this year to honing my skills and bringing them to the level I want them to be.